Show notes (description):
Have you ever hung out with someone and gotten annoyed because they weren’t really paying attention? Sometimes, we can spend time with someone without giving them your attention.
Quality time, according to The 5 Love Languages refers to giving someone our undivided attention. In today’s episode we talk about the impact quality time can have on an older person. An older family member or friend may seem bored, unengaged, or uninterested, but once you give them some attention and time… voila! You’ve got a new person.
YES! We can love our older family and friends on a low budget and even from a distance.
- Do an activity together (listen to the story I share about Grandma Joy and Brad)
- Listen intently – Don’t give advice. Let them vent.
- Engage in quality conversation – When you ask them you honor them.
Activities you can do together:
- Take a walk
- Cook or bake a recipe.
- Play a game (mahjong? cards?)
- Visit a landmark or a lake.
- Fold laundry or peel string beans (dinner prep!)
If you are a grandchild and perhaps not the primary caregiver, one HUGE way you can improve the older person’s health is to fill their emotional love tank THROUGH quality time. Listen to the rest of the episode to find out how.
Learn how to submit an audio clip of your older friend/family member by visiting https://www.isabeltom.com/2021/05/04/podcastsubmission/,
** Note that there are affiliate links on this page. This means I may receive compensation if someone purchases these items.